Thursday, August 30, 2007

4 movies that motivated my children

(1) Matilda (because Matilda doesn't wait for approval to do her schoolwork and stays true to herself)

(2) Lang leve de koningin (because a smart girl can be better at chess than at school)

(3) Lemony Snicket's 'We're very concerned' (because one of the children invents incredible solutions and the other applies the knowledge he found in books)

(4) A beautiful mind (because Nash fights mental illness with his exceptional mind, succeeds and even wins the Nobel prize) (very mature content though, read the discussion under comments)

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Interesting post. My kids watched Matilda. I wouldn't let them see A Beautiful Mind because I think the subject matter is too mature (maybe when they are older?). I haven't seen the other movies. How old are your kids?

Odile S said...

thanks for your comment. I think good advice would be to watch any movie yourself before letting your children see it.
I didn't show it to my 2 youngest. My children are exceptionally mature for their age. Life events had an influence too.
I don't know if you have read "les belles images" from Simone de Beauvoir. In this book, the main character decides that not showing the pain and hardships in the world to your children leads to a loss of soul. I agree with her, I respect it if you don't.
I don't think I should exagerate either.

Anonymous said...

Hi Odile!

I do think it's good advice to watch any movie yourself before showing it to kids.

I also don't think that you should completely shield kids from pain and hardship. You're right about that. (Which is why mine went to the hospital and nursing home to see my father, when he was there.)

To me, it's about age appropriateness. My kids wouldn't have understood A Beautiful Mind. In fact, my adult friend who I saw it with didn't understand it.

*new* item at Chez Odile is the metachat where Creatives and Thinkers meet.

reciproll

About Me

My photo
I think criticism is positive attention.
PageRank Checker

blogroll writers